A tour of the filming locations in Lombardy, northern Italy. In addition to the natural beauty of Lombardy in northern Italy, the centuries-old architectural heritage of the region also attracts and, since autumn 2017, it has become a destination and a place of pilgrimage for fans of the hit movie Call Me by Your Name.
To see that a film has become a cult classic is no better proof of this than the fact that tourists turn up the filming locations. Although the novel on which the film is based is set on the Italian Riviera in Liguria, director Luca Guadagnino has moved the story from the coast to the Lombardy locations where he himself lives.
The filming locations are clearly identifiable, perhaps even down to which cobbled stone the two young actors were standing on in the scene. Tourists search for the safe position using photos copied from the film frames.
The Villa Albergoni, where most of the film takes place, is located in Moscazzano. When the guys hop on their bikes and cycle to the city centre, they are actually walking through the streets of the neighbouring town of Crema, because the old town there provided a much more beautiful backdrop for the film. The Professor takes Elio and Oliver to Sirmione, on the shores of Lake Garda, when they come across an art treasure. At the end of the film, the boys travel to Bergamo to say goodbye to each other on a trip to the city and the surrounding mountains.
Filming locations with their corresponding scenes:
- Sirmione on the shores of Lake Garda (archaeological travel scenes)
- Villa Albergoni in Moscazzano (home of the Perlman family)
- Piazza Gambazocchi in Moscazzano (poker game in the bar)
- Bar Belvedere in Moscazzano (Elio and Marzia reconciliation scene)
- Piazza Vittorio Emanuele III in Pandino („Because I want you to know” scene)
- Fontanile Quarantina in Capralba (Elio’s secret place scene)
- Cascina San Giorgio (Il Duce scene)
- Church – Montodine (when Elio and Oliver leave for Bergamo)
- Le Cascate del Serio (waterfall scene)
- Hotel Agnello d’Oro (pension in Bergamo)
Featured photo: https://www.prolococrema.it/product-page/tovaglietta-per-colazione-cmbyn?lang=en